Monday, October 30, 2006

Power to the people...

I don't really know what I think of this. On one hand, I always dig people standing up for what they believe in-- especially in this case given that the students pay tuition and are fighting for a voice in their universities' leadership. On the other hand, sometimes protests get unnecessarily violent. Or, what if students were protesting in favor of something immoral or unjust? Yikes, this is a tough one. Shoot me your thoughts...

Protest at Gallaudet

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

People standing up for what they believe in is always a good thing. Violet behavior is always bad.

Onanite

1:13 PM  
Blogger Parrot1540 said...

I think Superbri is right...sometimes people protest for protest's sake and forget the conviction, the heart, the passion behind it. Don't know if that's the case here...

I agree with Onanite to an extent...when it comes down to it, I like when people put themselves on the line for their conviction. And, pretty much across the board, I'm not a big fan of violence. But I would argue that there are injustices in the world that require more intensity and more passion than they get-- think of Rwanda or the Sudan or world hunger-- there is more that can be done...

I guess my question is: Is a crappy college president what I really want to put my butt on the line for? Is it really worth it for me to spend time, money, energy, resources, etc. to usurp some cat that I may never meet when I could be raising money for Katrina victims? Does that make sense?

12:58 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home